You are here: Home | What to do if You are Worried About a Child

What to do if You are Worried About a Child


What to do if you are worried about a child

As a parent, carer, relative, neighbour, member of the public or a professional who has contact with children, you may be concerned about the welfare and safety of your own child or a child you know. Keeping children safe is everyone’s business.

These concerns could be about their appearance, behaviour, development or how they are being cared for. If you are worried about the welfare or safety of a child, even your own child, it is very important that you contact us.

Social workers will then follow up every report, talk to other people to get a clearer picture and decide what to do from there. Children are very rarely taken away from home – this only happens when there are real concerns that the child is not safe.

Between 8:30am to 6pm Monday- Friday, you can call the Children’s Advice and Duty Service (CHaD) on 01782 235100 to speak to an experienced social worker about your concerns. Outside of these hours you can contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01782 234234.

If you think the child is at immediate risk call 999.